Friday, May 29, 2009

You´ll Be in My Heart

The past week has been a torment of mixed feelings. I honestly don´t know where to begin as i describe them, and for sure there is no way to describe all the feelings that are floating around in my head and heart. No one quite prepares you for how you´ll feel as your departure comes nearer and nearer, and your experience dwindles down. you expect to feel excitement, obviously to see all the people you have missed, and yet you can never be quite prepared for the feelings you feel as you say goodbye to each person that has touched your life.
When i arrived in Ecuador i really wasn´t quite sure what to expect, i had spent years dreaming of this whole experience but when it came down to it, Ecuador was nothing like i had expected. I quickly learned to take the attitude of "come what may, and love it". the Ecuadorian culture was hard to get used to, but once i got over it i learned to accept it and try to go with the flow. i learned patience and understanding for people who think, eat, drink, dress, and speak differently than i do, and i know that i will forever be grateful for the eye opening experience i have had while i´ve interacted with the diversity of this country.
i quickly became involved in my ward here, and i had refuge from the storm through institute classes, and ward activities. the members of Barrio Colón took me in, and loved me, and taught me so much. i interacted with beautiful children of God of all ages and really truly gained a testimony of the truthfulness of this world wide gospel. there honestly is a church every where you turn, you truly are never alone. The church is the same, no matter what language you are speaking or what chapel you are sitting in.
I have seen the gosepl touch many lives, and i´ve felt the fire burning with in me as i´ve strived to be a "member missionary". i´ve seen new converts come into the fold and start their lives over like the writing of a new book, i´ve born my testimony of simple principles of the gospel that i´ve just had in my heart my whole life, where as new members here are learning them for the first time. As i reached out of my bubble i let the members of the church here in Ecuador change my life for good.
Through much travel i´ve seen the beautiful country sides of Ecuador with mountains bigger than i´ve ever seen before. i´ve seen coastal areas where the spanish is slurred and the climate is hot and humid. i´ve stood over looking the valley from the worlds largest active volcano. i´ve hiked through palm tree jungles, and seen huge spiders. i´ve seen poverty like ive never imagined, i´ve seen world weary faces and deep caloused hands from hard work. and yet through the simple life they lead they find reason to smile, to laugh, and to dance, and they teach you to find joy in the simple things of life.
ive learned to appreciate my deep ancestrial roots, as the people of Ecuador have much pride in their heritage. i´ve learned the symbolism in the traditional dress, and learned to appreciate their pride in their beautiful country. i´ve held my breath as i´ve tried new foods and learned that i acutally do like wierd meals. and i´ve bit my toungue when i´ve wanted to critize someone in their "ecuadorian ways".
i´ve learned to have patience with my self as i struggled with the language, and i´ve learned to feel accomplishment as i learned to conguate verbs and structure a sentence.
you see, many of you will never understand how i feel about ecuador, but i understand. Ecuador is where i found my self, it refined me, and showed me the person i want to be, and become. í feel more prepared than ever to set out on the next journey of my life, knowing that i can do the things that might seem impossible. i´ve learned to never bend my standards, because truely living the gospel reaps blessings of indescrible joy. i´ve learned to look for the silver lining, and to find joy in the journey, to count your blessings, and to live each day as if it were your last!

I look forward to using my ecuador experiences to influence the rest of my life, they will not go to waist. i know i came here with the goal to learn spanish, but i´m leaving having accomplished so much more. and i feel content and happy with everything i did and saw and experienced in Ecuador.

Thank you to each of you who helped shape and influence my life for good.

Love,
Emily

1 comment:

Sterling said...

I think it is awesome the many things you have learned and experienced during your time there. Just like you said your Ecuadorian experiences will shape the rest of your life. Best of luck to you in everything that you choose to do.

-Sterling