Monday, May 18, 2009

Like a handprint on my heart


Yesterday was my last sunday in my ward here in Ecuador, because i will be at the beach next week, and then the 31st i am headed home!!! it was tough, as i tried to stay composed. but in sacrement meeting they sang "God be With you till we Meet again" and i started crying from then on. I have never quite felt this way before, it´s the most bitter sweet feeling i´ve ever felt. Excited to get home, and yet sad to leave this life behind.
i can honestly say, when i walked into the Colón church house 9 months ago, i had no idea that i would become so attached, and that i would have such strong friendships with the members of the ward.
They were so ready, and open to accept me, and to become my home away from home. Through the year i´ve been here i´ve gotten to know many of the ward members, and i´ve grown to love them. they´ve comforted me in hard times like Christmas and Easter, and they´ve helped and encouraged me to become the best i can be. They were patient with my spanish, and have complemented me as i´ve grown and learned more.
I spent a weekend with them at the temple, and i´ve been caught up in the contageious continuous work of the Lord. The church in Ecuador is young, and new, but it is strong. while many of the members aren´t generation members like me there lives inside of them a strong spirit, and an enthusiasm to spread the gospel with every person they meet.
i´ve sat through the most spiritual and motivating testimony meetings of my life, where almost every member of the ward stood up to bear their sweet, and strong testimonies. no travel logs, or rambling stories, but short, sweet, and powerful words that i will not soon forget.
They sing the hymns in their native tounge with all their might, as they praise all that we beleive in through songs of the heart. their inteligent children master the articles of faith and can quote each one by heart by the time their eight.
although to many the church is very new, you wouldn´t know it, they have amazing strong testimonies, and they pray that their families will join them in the work of the Lord.
My seminary teacher when i was a Junior used to always say, "We never know when we will meet up again, but if it´s not in this life, and it´s in the next, we WILL meet at the big fountain in the next world....i´ll see you there!"
My heart will continuously be with these people in my ward here in Ecuador. i learned SO much from them, and i will never forget them!
if anything, i´ve learned that the church is true no matter where you are, or which part of the world you find yourself. you will always find the church, and in the church you will find the same true doctrines, principles, and testiomonies. no matter which language you are speaking you will understand, and spirit to spirit you will grow to love the members of the church.
I am eternally grateful and in debt to the members of the Colón ward for everything they did for me!!!
Ustedes son en mi corazón para siempre y siempre!

Love Emily

No comments: