Saturday, May 2, 2009

You don´t know who I am?

There is sooooooooo much to tell, and not very much time to tell it in, so i will get as much done as I can now, and then you´ll have to wait for the rest! However before I start jungle blogging there a few more things that I need to blog about and some stories that I think you´ll find pretty fun!
Last Friday found me at “El Jardin” which is a big mall here in Quito. I was meeting Maggie there and I needed to get some things before I took off to the jungle. Now I have probably mentioned this before but when I get in “Spanish Mode” it´s hard to break into English. Well while my mind was otherwise occupied in Español a man came up to me. He was the blackest man I have ever seen, he was huge, and for a minute I was a little startled. He started talking to me, but I couldn´t understand a word he was saying, it sounded something like this, “oshodasfdosguadosgfijd” yup, that understandable. I looked at him, and in Spanish I said, “I’m sorry I can´t understand you” (Lo siento no entiendo) he took a deep breath and said again, “wwoehtaoeighoeitaweogh” (haha) I just looked at him dumbly. Then he said very slow and clear, “Do you speak English?” I then replied, like a retard “si yo hablo ingles” (yes I speak English) except for I told him that I spoke English, in Spanish…(who does that?) then he very patiently replied, “I DON´T UNDERSTAND SPANISH” then I felt very stupid, and he added, “Where are the Restrooms” . that was the first time I understood him a little. I then thought he said, “Where are the Restaurants?” so I directed him to the third floor food court. He then sighed…and said again very slowly, “NO, I HAVE. TO. GO. PEE!” There was no mistaking that phrase and I quickly apologized and directed him to the restrooms. (I must add, half in Spanish half in English)
Well, after about 15 minutes I was still standing where he found me the first time, he came back down the escalators and saw me there. I saw him coming and felt a little silly, but smiled and he started talking to me asking me all these questions. “where are you from?” “why are you in Quito…” Etc.etc. well I answered, and then replied with the same questions. He then looked at me like I was crazy, like “you don´t know who I am?” I suddenly felt even more stupid, if that´s even possible and he said, “I play Futból” (aka soccer) he then held up some pictures of him playing against the Barcelona team. Come to find out his name was Christian something or other…and he is a pro soccer player.
It was a shame I didn´t have my camera…or even a paper for him to sign… then he walked away, and I stood there just laughing my head off. I had directed a pro soccer player to the bathrooms, and didn´t even know it! (poor guy)

1 comment:

famous father said...

It is even funnier hearing it the second time!!!!!!! you need to google him so you can at least say his last name! you forgot to mention he kinda asked you on a date! To watch him play soccer no doubt! it reminds me of Kelly Preston's character in "For love of the game" when she first meets Kevin Costner's character! Only Ecuador futball style! Gotta love ya!